If you do not have integrity…your sales career won’t last very long. I have witnessed what I think is one of the Top 10 Disciplines catapult or blunder a sales career. It amazes me how some people are so short-sighted that they take, take, take as much from the customer as fast as they can only to have them wise up and revolt against their rep.
I’ve seen reps give gift cards and tickets to the game to get business. I’ve seen reps sell their trusting customer inferior products because they could make a higher commission. However, the reps that stay around the longest and make a career out of it are the ones that have integrity and follow the rules below.
For more information on integrity and sales click the link below. Baylor University presents an interesting case about integrity in the workplace.
Here are my Top Rules of Integrity:
- Think of your customers best interests
- Your product must add value to their organization
- You must be open and honest about your products capabilities.
- Deliver on your promises. You should never over promise.
- Only speak the truth.
- Never do anything you wouldn’t be proud of on the 6 o clock news.
- Give credit inside and outside the organization where it is due. Don’t take credit that you don’t deserve.
- Say what you mean and mean what you say.
- Never talk negatively about competition just point out your differences and let the customer decide.
- If others had full disclosure would they buy from you?
- Is it legal? Not Joking
So what nonsense have you been witness to? Is integrity a trait that top performers on your sales team emulate? Please share by posting your comments below.